sexta-feira, 4 de abril de 2014

A Trip To France III - Paris in Africa

One more experience in France, at this time in Paris. Unusual experience.

As we like to visit parts of the city that are revealing of realities not easily available for tourists, we decided to adventure by the “outskirt”. How? We found out that it would be necessary to take a RER line. At first we thought that it was a bus line. How to find where it went by? We looked at the maps hanging at the bus stops, none of them mentioned RER. After searching for a long time, we finally found it! It was a special subway line. And it left from Chatelet station. But, it wasn’t that simple. Many lines go through this station, and such RER had the stop very far and way below from the well known ones. I admit it was a bit scary going through many and long corridors, taking an elevator (Up? Down? Don’t even know anymore), walk a little more and only then…realize what a RER was: a huge double deck train, painted in the colors of France: red, blue and white. And it isn’t as frequent as the “normal” ones. 

We were about 20 minutes at the station waiting for the departure. I immediately noticed that all the people who were also waiting for the train were black. Hum…How peculiar! Where were we? Which city is this? We left towards the station which we had bought tickets for. Finally the train departed and from then on my surprise with the blackness of the passengers was increasing. In every following station, black people would come in and get out, dressed in a very simple way, as it happens with poor people anywhere in the world. Only about 5% of white people. In the area where the train ran on the surface the landscape wasn’t too interesting. The fantasy that we would see theSeine River and would get to know a special architecture of the city didn’t happen. We decided to get out of the train earlier than planned. And my astonishment went on: a clear impression that I was in an African country. Simple houses, few and poor commerce near the train station. We went for a walk around the neighborhood, few people circulating. We got very hungry and entered in a small and humble restaurant that could call itself Turkey- Greek. The young woman who served us was a caring and nice Moroccan; ready to help us choose what to eat.

I don’t have deep reflections to propose I only wanted to tell how a simple search for different experiences could reveal little known aspects of a well-visited city such as Paris. There were still some questions: How the sharp separation between black and white people takes its toll on the “standard” Parisians? How the black people would describe their lives in Paris? Yes, there were rebellions in Belleville in 2005. Do they indicate what the people of the numberless neighborhood live? I didn’t notice a hostile or arrogant way, an attitude of self-assertion that I sometimes saw in New York or Washington. No, they seemed to be “ordinary” people…in an African country. Why little is said about this split up of the city’s population, about its habits, its houses and the job it has?


I believe that these questions occur to me because I live in a city where black people and poor people mix together with white people (even if not so white) and “rich people” (not so rich): Rio de Janeiro. I don’t seek for comparisons, they are never worthwhile. It was just another experience of the enormous diversity of people and places that exist around the world. And the uselessness and emptiness of affirming the superiority of some over others, using spurious criteria.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário